Sunday, October 16, 2005

Sabbath Ramblings

This has been a pretty quiet week, just the normal shopping and daily life. Lily got sick on Thursday, and Mariah on Friday, Lily with a bad cold and Mariah with croup. They are slowly recovering, but I plan to stay in with them until they get a little better. Ben went to church this morning, and I’ll go this evening. We don’t have our health insurance cards yet, so though we can get medical care, it will be more complicated. We also hear that going to the doctor here is an all day event since you can’t make an appointment but rather just show up and wait until your name is called. My PR friend recently waited 6.5 hours to see the Dr. with her kids. She informs me that this is an unusually long wait, but if we have to go, we should pack a lunch and plan to be there awhile. I’d rather not experience this.

On being here a month: We are finally completely unpacked. That is a nice feeling. We feel more settled, have little routines, and know where the essential things are in town. I’m realizing that some of my personality and tastes are not very culturally Spanish.

We’re learning to adjust our expectations to reality. Ben is gone about 60 hours a week, which creates a bit of a time crunch for us. His work project also looks like it will take longer than expected.

On friendships: It’s interesting forming relationships when we know at the start they will only be for a few months. People are kind and welcoming, we’re forming good friendships, but there’s a general underlying understanding that it’s only for a short time. It makes us appreciate those that really do welcome us so warmly, and I wonder how it will all work out in the long run.

On learning Spanish: Our generally useful “Household Spanish” book does not have the translation for “My name is”. This is rather problematic, as that is a foundational phrase for relating in any language. Otherwise, it has much good information when we have the time to study it. I (Anna) am picking up a fair number of nouns and a few adjectives, but no grammar and almost no verbs. This makes it very difficult to form a real sentence. We are still looking for someone who might help us a bit with our Spanish.

On Covenant theology: Studying the Scripture with friends who don’t see the Bible through this “lense” makes me realize how integral it is to my thinking and understanding of Scripture. Covenant theology reveals such a rich “layer” of the Scriptures. It ties both testaments together, and shows so clearly how each event fits into God’s covenant plan of redemption. Like Jay Adams points out in his counseling materials, one’s systematic theology (or lack thereof) affects how one sees Scripture and draws applications.

On Anna: Read Luke 2:36-38. I am currently challenged by a woman who shares my name and is a dynamic example of godliness, thankfulness and faithful service to the Lord. I’ve spent quite a bit of time meditating on the little we have recorded of her life and the example of her life is a challenge to me.

On your calls & email: we really appreciate it. Thanks!

1 Comments:

At 7:43 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Hey Anna and Ben,
I just found your little world. :) very good to hear bout yous. Just in case you haven't learned what "my name is" yet it is "Me llamo (masculine)___ Me llama(feminine) _____"
Keep updating! I am praying for yous. God bless.

Jenny B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home